February 13, 2009

itchy itchy..scratchy, scratchy...






Day one down...ten to go, or so I am told. We were looking forward to a long three day weekend, a celebration of Kaylie's 10 months and valentines. That is until we woke up Friday morning to find a spot covered daughter. Do kids even get chicken pox anymore? I thought since the vaccine was so popular, it wasn't so commonplace. Apparently infants carry their mothers antibodies for chicken pox for around 9 months, but are not eligible for the immunization until 12 months leaving a three months window where they are vulnerable to the virus. And poor miss K. picked it up somewhere just in time. It only furthers my feeling that Arizona is like a second world country at least in some areas and especially when it comes to the healthcare system....another post for another day. In the meantime has anyones kids had the pox, and if so what did you do to soothe them? She is actually handling it quite well, itchy, but not fussy about it...though she is not sleeping well. We did make a stop to the Walgreen's on our way home from the pediatricians to stock up on oatmeal and that pink anti-itch lotion...and of course a princess tea set since we are feeling sorry for ourselves today.

4 comments:

Crystal said...

Get well soon K. It is becoming more and more apparent to me how good our health care here is in Utah. Did you see that interview with the octoplets Mom in San Diego- that Hopsital looked like something from the 60's. Yikes. Can't wait to read your rants and raves though I know I have heard most over the phone already. At least the drive in is still an available option for entertainment.

Anonymous said...

The worst is over, once the spots appear except for the itching, the good thing is she is still to little to scratch and scar. I am so sorry for both of you.

Love Auntie

Jeff and Chelsy said...

I didn't know kids still got them either. Poor girl, hopefully it won't last too much longer.

Jen Carpenter said...

I am itching just reliving my nightmare with chickenpox as a kid! I am so sad for her! Benadryl was key for us as kids, and Wal-Mart has a good anti-itch gel, it is clear, and it has worked wonders with my hives I get from food allergies! We miss you guys! Love ya!